Saturday, November 26, 2011

A day of country crafts!

Each year my mom and I go to the Genesee Country Village & Museum for their annual Christmas Craft day.  This year they changed it up a bit, I liked most of it.  We had a good time. 

We made...or attempted to make:

Our first station was making paper stars.  I loved the way these looked!!  But my fingers just did not let me fold the paper the way it was supposed to be folded.
I am bound and determined to make these stars.  I love them.  I know once I do it they will be easy.

I felt so bad for our "teacher". No one showed her how to make these stars and was expected to teach us.  I thought she did a great job!!  AND she smiled through the whole thing.

Next we made my favorite!!  Scented Sachet bags.  There was rosemary, pine, cinnamon, dried orange peels and rose hips in them.  As well as a couple of drops of essential oil.  OH my does this smell good!!


Another favorite was stringing cranberries, walnuts and bay leaves.  This smells SO good as well.  I have it hung up in the kitchen.

While we were stringing these up we thought of other combinations we might do.  Orange peels, apples, cinnamon sticks....oh my the list goes on and on.

Next we made clove studded oranges.  I didn't take pictures of the during process because it was too sticky!  Last year we covered the whole orange in cloves.  This was much easier!!

Next we made an orange basket out of an orange peel.  I filled mine with cinnamon, and cloves when we got home.  Smells Divine!

After completing the crafts some of the village houses were open for us to see winter preparations.

Preparing chestnuts to be roasted.

My mom got to try her hand at roasting chestnuts.

They were showing us how they sewed the winter clothing.  Made out of wool. 

Here we were able to see sausage making and taste homemade applesauce.  The sausage making kind of grossed me out.  When I say they made it fresh....I mean they made it fresh!  Next picture is NOT for the weak stomachs!

Fresh sausage...eventually will be ham, and bacon.

Here this young man is splitting wood.  I think he is making fence posts.

I now leave you with my favorite picture of the day.  This basket of knitting.  In a few weeks we will be going on our yearly Yuletide Tour.  I'm SO looking forward to this.  I absolutely love the Genesee Country Village & Museum.  But if you've been a reader for any length of time you already know that!!

The only suggestion I have to make for this craft day is...do not try and cram 50 plus people into a small building.  We had no room to move, we were shoulder to shoulder.

1 comment:

Alicia K said...

This sounds like so much fun!! I know my girls and I would love to attend something like this.

Alicia from the TOS Crew