Thursday, October 16, 2014

Soft Molasses Cookies

Here is another recipe from the Amish cookbook created by a local Amish community.  I love these recipes.  Most of the recipes have just the ingredients listed.  Just like most grandmothers would cook.  These cookies are a lot different than any other molasses cookie I have ever made.  They taste like a gingersnap cookie but without the snap.  They are so soft and oh so good!

My house smells like grandma's house!  Isn't funny how certain smells transport us back in time.  Honestly, I think that is one reason I just love to cook.  Although certain people are not with me, when I make a recipe given by them I feel their presence.  Now I'm not talking in a spirit sense.  I think you know what I mean.

These are loaded with ginger flavor.  So if you are not fond of ginger you might try reducing it.  But ginger is SO good for you.  Not sure these cookies are good for you with all the sugar.  {Wink}


Soft Molasses Cookies

3 cups brown sugar
2 1/2 cups shortening
3 eggs
1 cup molasses
6 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons cinnamon
3 teaspoons ginger
3 teaspoons cloves
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 3/4 cup flour
White sugar

In a large mixing bowl cream the brown sugar and lard together.  Add in the eggs, vanilla and molasses mix well.  In a separate large bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix well.  Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.  Mix until all ingredients are well combined.

Form the dough into balls and dip into a bowl of white sugar.  Place these onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Remove them immediately from the cookie sheet onto a wire rack.  They will be extremely soft, but will firm up after they cool.  They will almost seem like they are still raw inside. 

Store in a covered container. 

No comments: