Saturday, September 21, 2013

Freezing Bananas

Did you know that you can freeze bananas?  I didn't until right after my husband and I were married.  Someone mentioned to me that you could freeze them in recipe size portions.  Genius!!  I think the sugar content is so much more concentrated when they are frozen. It makes for a delicious banana bread and muffins.

We were blessed with 2 huge boxes of bananas today.  Our church has a grocery distribution once a month with a local food bank.  The representative told us today that we were welcome to take what was left over.  He said he doesn't like to reload the food.  Haha

So here is how I freeze the bananas.

 First I peel the bananas and place in a large bowl. 
 
 
Next, add 3-4 bananas per freezer bag.  This is usually what a typical banana bread recipe calls for.  I then get the kids involved and have them squish the bags.  I lay them flat in the freezer to minimize space.
 
My kids also eat them right out of the freezer, or place into their smoothies.

1 comment: