Saturday, April 14, 2012

Adding to our family...

I am having trouble starting this post.  Not sure why.  Perhaps it's all the things I want to tell you all!!  So I'll just begin and the beginning.

I was born...oh wait not that far back.  After the birth of my son, the doctor said it would be best if I get my tubes tied.  I won't go into the details, but it would be dangerous for me and the baby if I were to carry one again.  This was 5 years before coming to Christ.  Would the decision been different if I were a Christian?  Only God knows that.  I also went through a divorce a few years after my son was born.  Then I met the man God created me for.  You can read our story HERE.

Romans 8:28~~"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."

Adoption has always been near and dear to me.  My mom was adopted at the age of 5.  My grandparents are one of the most amazing people I've ever known. 

My husband and I have been talking and praying for a long time about adoption.  We looked into it a few years ago.  We were pretty shocked at how costly it is.  We knew that God would provide if that was the route He wanted us to go.    We had felt since God had not opened any doors at that time we would not go this route. 

Philippians 4:19, "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

God would not let adoption leave my thoughts and prayers.  It came to the surface so many times.  Then 2007 we met a family that was doing foster care.  They had adopted one through foster care and were in the process of adopting another.  Foster care was not something we had ever thought about doing.  Especially since we were homeschooling...you know how us homeschoolers feel about social services!  We are like oil and water...they just do not mix.  Again God would not let this leave me.  I would come up with excuses and God would show me why we were to explore this route.  

Ephesians 1:6-7 ~~ "having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved."

Where would we be if God had not chosen us to be adopted into His family??!!  I know for me personally I would still be lost...searching...feeling alone.  Hmmm much like a child placed into foster care.  My heart started to soften toward the idea of becoming a foster parent.  This was in 2009....as you can see I'm a slow follower.  But I know everything happened in God's timing. 

Proverbs 3:5~~"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding."

So now here we are in 2012 we have finally stepped out to become foster parents.  This past Wednesday we had our first home visit.  It went VERY well.  The woman who came put all our concerns to rest.  We are thrilled to be taking this step!!  We have started praying for the children that will enter our lives and our home.  Our children are also very excited about adding new family members to our home.  Yes we do plan on adopting out of the foster care system.  Like many we are leaving how many up to God.  We start our training classes in September.  Boy does that seem so far away.

1 comment:

BARBIE said...

That's so exciting Jen! Praying all continues to go well and believing that God will be right in the middle of it all!