Sunday, April 15, 2012

AIMS-From Head to Toe~TOS Review


Activities Integrating Math and Science

AIMS (Activities Integrating mathematics and Science) Education Foundation began in 1981 with a grant from the National Science Foundation.  It is a non-profit organization that publishes hands-on instructional materials that build a great understanding of the subject. 

I Hear and I Forget,
I See and I Remember,
I Do and I Understand.
~ Chinese Proverb

As the title says, this company produces Math and Science curriculum.  You can purchase any of their programs through their online store.

As a part of TOS Homeschool Review Crew we were sent Head to Toe to use.


Just as the title of the book suggests, From Head to Toe, your student will learn just that.  You start out at the top and work your way down.   Each lesson is very well organized.  The lessons consists of:
Topic~What are we learning about?
Key Question~This is like a thesis statement of the lesson.
Learning Goals~What the student will know after the lesson.
Guiding Documents~Not really sure what these are. 
Science~What subject is covered.
Integrated Processes~Comprehensive skills worked on.
Materials~What you need for this lesson.
Background Information~Introduction of the lesson.
Management~What the teacher needs to do.
Procedure~Step by step of lesson.
Connecting Learning~Questions to ask students for review.
Extensions~Extras for the lesson.
Internet Connections~Internet resources.
Solutions~Shows the teacher the parts learned.

I loved how easy the lessons were to teach.  Most of the time all I had to do was prepare the copies and the kids were able to go over the lesson themselves.  We added a few library books for them to really study each topic. 

All of the materials needed for each of the lessons were things we could easily find.  I love that!  Most science books we have used required a lot of fancy equipment.

I do not mind the time it took to prepare the lessons.  I liked that the kids were able to be on their own and explore the lessons.  Our children learn more if they are able to learn that way.  Just like the Chinese Proverb I posted at the beginning of this post.  Seeing, feeling and touching will really help make something stick with a child.

This curriculum sells for $24.95 at their online store.

Disclaimer~As a member of TOS Homeschool Crew we were sent this free in exchange for our honest review.

To see what my crew mates are saying about AIMS go on over to the Crew Blog.

No comments: