Monday, May 30, 2011

Pies in a jar

This was a recipe I have seen all over the Internet.  I have never been a pie baker...I guess it's because I always thought they were just too much work.  I'm more of a throw in the pan and hope it tastes good cook.  But when I started seeing these all over I thought hmmm that doesn't look that hard.  They were VERY easy and the kids loved to make their own.

Pies in a jar
1 recipe for pie crust (I used store bought)
2 cups of berries, or apples what ever you want in your pie
2 Tablespoons of sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon butter divided between the pies
6 (4 oz.) jars

Take your 4 ounce jar and some of the pie crust dough and press into the bottom.  I just started breaking off pieces and started pressing it into the bottom.  You do not need to grease the jar.

Take about 1/2 cup of filling per jar.  Place a small amount of butter on top of the filling in each jar.  Use your other pie dough to make little tops for your pies.  I just used the 4 oz. jar lid to cut out circles.  Cut out a vent hole.  Then used a fork to seal them.

Place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.

As I was typing this my husband and I thought these would also make great chicken pot pies!!  These can also be frozen before baking.

No comments: