Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cooking Thursday~Old Fashioned Sponge Candy


This is my dad's favorite candy!  It has become so expensive but not that bad cost wise to make.

Old Fashioned Sponge Candy

1 cup sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 Tbsp baking soda

Heat sugar, corn syrup, and vinegar to boiling in sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Boil without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 300F. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda quickly and thoroughly. Pour mixture in ungreased baking pan,13x9x2 inches. Do not spread. Cool; break candy into pieces. Dip into melted chocolate.

Visit Diary of a SAHM for more recipes.

2 comments:

Mari said...

This is my Dad's favorite too. Around here it's called Seafoam. I've never heard it called sponge candy. Regardless of name - it's yummy!

Sandra said...

I have never had this, I'm really curious now. Definitely going to save the recipe and try it :)