Monday, November 16, 2009

Happy Homemaker Monday

The weather in my neck of the woods: pretty mild considering it is November.

One of my simple pleasures: spending time with my Husband before he goes to work.

On my bedside table: cell phone, clock, cough drops, Bible

On my TV: kids are watching a program I taped on the History of Thanksgiving.

On the menu for tonight: tater tot casserole

On my To Do List: Last night of woman's Bible study for the fall tonight, Wednesday night kids club at church, library on Friday.

New Recipe I tried last week: We had this at the museum on Saturday.


Butternut squash and Apple Soup

3 Tablespoons butter
2 large onions -- chopped
2 Tablespoons curry powder (good quality)
1 teaspoon chili powder
5 cans (6 1/2 cups) chicken stock -- homemade or canned
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, & chopped
3 firm tart apples (ie: Spys, Granny Smiths) -- peeled, cored, & diced salt and pepper to taste 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (optional)


In a heavy skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and saute until translucent, approx. 5 mins. Add the curry and chili powders and cook for another 5 minutes. Add half the stock and bring to a boil. Transfer the mixture to a soup kettle, add squash and apples, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 45 mins. to 1 hour, or until squash is tender. Stir occasionally to prevent vegetables from sticking to the pan.


I skipped this step and used my hand blender. Strain soup and reserve the liquid. Place the pulp in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until pureed. Return the puree, reserved liquid,cream and the remaining chicken stock to a clean soup kettle and bring to a simmer. Ladle the soup into warm soup bowls and sprinkle with chopped parsley or cilantro if desired.
NOTE: This soup can be made ahead or frozen without the cream. 10 servings

In the craft basket: Christmas cards and gifts

Looking forward to: spending time with my Grandmother next week at Thanksgiving.

Homemaking Tip for this week: keep on the kids to put things away!

Favorite Blog Post of the week (mine or other): the post before this one on my weekend craft day at the museum.

Favorite photo from last week: the pomander ball. The house smells so good!!


Lesson learned the past few days: when you feel the Lord directing you to do something DO IT! A few times over the past month the Lord has been putting my former mother in law (also my children's grandmother) in my path. Her and I never got along, we have a long history of not liking one another. I kept waiting for the perfect time to share the Gospel with her. Well this past weekend she took a full bottle of pain killers and is now in a coma. I'm making supper for her husband tomorrow and taking it to him.

On my Prayer List: family, my kids grandmother, unsaved family and friends.

Devotionals, Scripture Reading, Key Verses: Acts 24:25 (New King James Version)
Now as he reasoned about righteousness, self-control, and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and answered, “Go away for now; when I have a convenient time I will call for you.”


To read other HHM posts visit Diary of a SAHM.

No comments: