Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A Light at the End of the Tunnel!!


Last night I finished my final EMT class.  This class has stretched me in ways I had not even imagined.  My classmates have been so much fun!  The class itself has been difficult for many reasons.  But you know what?  I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.  All of the things we go through in life make us into who God created us to be.  I know the things I went through in class will make me a better medic.


I have to admit.  There were many times during the past four months I questioned my ability.  If it were not for such wonderful people in my life rooting me on I would probably have quit a long time ago.  I know without a doubt this is what I am called to do in life. 


This past Saturday I took my first exam towards becoming an EMT.  This was the hands on practical skills exam.  It was one of the most stressful exams I have taken.  There were 6 stations we had to demonstrate skills in. 

Mandatory Stations
 
1a. Patient Assessment~ Medical
1b. Patient Assessment~ Trauma
2. Cardiac Arrest Management/AED
3. Bag-Valve-Mask Apneic with a pulse
 
Optional Skills~ I had to blindly pick a card to see what I was tested on.
4a. Upper Airway Adjuncts and Suction
4b. Supplemental Oxygen Administration
4c. Bleeding control and Shock Management (this is the one I picked)
 
5a. Spinal Immobilization~ Seated Patient (this is the one I picked)
5b. Spinal Immobilization~ Supine Patient
 
6a. Immobilization Skills~ Long Bone Injury
6b. Immobilization Skills~ Joint Injury
6c. Immobilization Skills~ Traction Splint (this is the one I picked)
 
The day started out bright and early!  The exam started at 9 am.  I think we were all finished by 3:30 pm.  I PASSED this part of the exam!  This Thursday I have my written part of the certification process.  I will be honest!  I am not the best at taking tests!  I am pretty nervous about this exam.  I am praying that God calms my nerves before going into this exam.  


5 comments:

Farmlife Chick said...

Jen, you can do it!

Christine said...

Saying a prayer right now that you will experience a peaceful, calm spirit, and will ace it!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

What level of EMT are you? Paramedic? Congratulations! I could never do that. The stories my husband tells me break my heart. It takes a special person to do what you guys do. Thank you!

Jen said...

Stacie~ I am at the EMT-B (basic) level. I rode ambulance in my late teens through late 20's. Then kids happened. Now it is my time to get back into something I love and most importantly something the Lord has called me to do.

7Sisters said...

SOOOOOOO Exciting!!!!! :) Congratulations!!! ~Cassia