Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Maple Glazed Pork Roast {Cast Iron Cooking}

My husband recently surprised me with a set of cast iron cookware.  I have been wanting a set for sometime now.  For years I had been afraid of cast iron.  I had thought it was only for cooking on a woodstove.  When my husband and I were dating I thought I would be a good girlfriend and clean up after supper for his dad.  My father-in-law used cast iron a lot with his cooking.  So me being naïve about cast iron care decided to wash his pan.  Yes I said wash....submersing this very well seasoned cast iron pan into soap and hot water.  Everyone was amazed at how calm he was with me.  He just calmly said that was a big no no in cast iron care.  So he gave me a little lesson on how to care and re-season cast iron.   So now I have my very own cast iron set.  Every time I make something with them I lovingly think of him.


Tuesday I was craving something with maple syrup.  Not your high fructose fake syrup...but real New York maple syrup.  There is nothing like it.  I thought pork was a good combination with maple syrup.

Maple Glazed Pork Roast

4-5 pound pork roast
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup maple syrup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Salt and pepper all sides of the pork roast.  In a very hot cast iron skillet sear each side for about a minute.  Pour the maple syrup over the roast.  Place into the oven for about 20 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 130 degrees.


Before placing into the oven I put 2 bags of baby carrots around the roast.  These turned into candied carrots.  This was so good!!  I could have honestly ate all the carrots by myself!


Something as simple as adding maple syrup to a roast is amazing.  Don't be afraid to add a sweet element to your meats. 


I think my family is afraid I am turning into Elf (the movie made a while back.  He poured maple syrup onto everything!).  Who knows I may just do that. 

1 comment:

Farmlife Chick said...

How sweet of him! He's always thinking of you! That looks delicious by the way! I'm going to try the carrots too!