Friday, February 6, 2015

Nourished: A Search for Health, Happiness, an a Full Night's Sleep {Book Review}

BOOK DESCRIPTION:
"Order-loving Rachel Randolph and her laid-back mother Becky Johnson might be opposites in some ways, but there’s one thing they both want to figure out: why is life so hectic and draining? Through interviews with friends and lots of research, they determine the most common stressors that mess with a woman’s mind. Together, they cook up a plan to live a less depleted and more nourished life.

The wise and witty co-authors of the heartwarming We Laugh, We Cry, We Cook, Becky and Rachel share their successes and failures as they make peace with their imperfect bodies, create living spaces they love, get wiser in their relationships, tame jam-packed schedules, settle into God’s love, and more. In short, they stumble and journey together toward a life that better nourishes them—body, mind, soul, and spirit.

With humor, honesty, and faith, this mother-daughter duo offers a breath of fresh air for readers of all generations and life-stages who find themselves drained, discontent, or discouraged—and know there has to be a healthier alternative."

AUTHORS:
Becky Johnson is the author, coauthor, or collaborator of more than forty books. She’s a natural storyteller who has inspired and entertained audiences for years. Most recently she co-authored We Laugh, We Cry, We Cook alone with a blog by the same name with her daughter, Rachel Randolph. She and her husband, Greg, live in Denver, Colorado. Website/blog: Laugh Cry Cook

Rachel Randolph writes and speaks with humor and honesty about parenting a toddler, young married life, and her mostly plant-based cooking adventures. Rachel is married to Jared, a high school football and baseball coach. They live near Dallas, Texas with their son, Jackson. Nourished is her second book. Website/Blog: Nourished Mama

MY THOUGHTS:

Are you starved for some nourishment in your life? Imagine this...you are running on empty and feeling very stressed.  I know this is not the case for many of you!!  Of course I am joking about that.  I have not come across another woman who has not stressed over things from time to time.  This book covers stressors in our lives like: schedules, body images, negative self-talk (one that I struggle with often), food, fitness, friendships, marriage, parenting and your spiritual life.  This list says to me that us women tend to stress about a lot of things in our lives. 

Part 3 of the book: Nourished Bodies, Nourished Selves was my favorite section of the book.  The Chapter 7 title is "At Home in Our Own Skin" was one that really struck home for me.  My whole life I have had such a horrible view of myself.  Especially my body image.  I was picked on a lot in high school because of my weight.  It became easier to pick myself apart with the others than to sit there quietly taking it.  I have mentioned before here that my husband and I are now on a journey to rid our bodies of junk.  This chapter fit right in to that change we are trying to make.

I found myself laughing out loud hysterically at many of the parts of this book.  I could relate to exactly what they were saying.  The words reminded me of conversations I have had with my good friend Jen (who by the way is moving out of state).  Reading this book made me feel as if I was sitting with a good friend chatting over a cup of coffee.  We laugh, cry and talk about anything and everything.  I highly recommend this book.

I did receive a copy of the book from Flyby Promotions in exchange for this review and post.

1 comment:

Tori Leslie said...

Thanks Jen for the review. I love these reviews because it takes the risk out of buying a new book. I love books that make me laugh out loud. Have a great weekend!