Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Loaded Beef and Barley Soup

I am sorry it has been so long since making an appearance here!  I was off from work all last week and was just enjoying my family.  We are still in a deep freeze here in NY.  We have had the coldest winter in ages!  We have so much snow on the ground we are running out of places to put it.  I am praying for a gradual warm-up so we do not have any flooding. 

Soup is our favorite go-to meal around here.  It has been a little over a month since we started our real food journey.  I went to the doctor for a follow-up visit and got some good news.  I am down 10 pounds!  My doctor has cut my blood pressure medicine in half!  In 6 months if my blood pressure is still good she will take me off of it!  Some of my vitamin levels were off but that is normal for me this time of the year.  The whole family feels so much better! 

My stomach problems are gone!  My headaches are gone!  Soon my weight struggles will be a thing of the past as well. 


Loaded Beef and Barley Soup

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 large stalk celery, sliced
1 large carrot, sliced
9 cups water
4 cups organic beef stock
1/2 cup pearl barley
1/3 cup dried black beans, rinsed and picked over
1/3 cup dried kidney beans, rinsed and picked over
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Heat oil in a large stock pot (large enough to hold everything) over medium high heat.  Add onions, celery and carrots, cook for about 5 minutes or until softened slightly.  Add water, stock, barley, beans and spices.  With the stove on high heat bring this mixture to a simmer.  Reduce the heat so you keep the soup at a simmer.  You do not want to boil because the veggies will be mushy.  Cook the soup for 2- 2 1/2 hours or until the beans are tender.  Add more water or stock 1/2 cup at a time.


My family raved about this soup all day.  My son had about 4 bowls of it...shhhh don't tell him it was loaded with veggies.  This soup is sure to satisfy even your pickiest of eaters.  Have a blessed evening!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE this post, the good news and results that come from eating REAL food and making it delicious, and I'm thankful for this recipe Jen. I wish I had it two days earlier, we've been in a deep freeze in Texas 30's, which probably sounds warm to you BUT it's not when it was 80 degrees three days ago. Keep up the good work!

Becky

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,
So glad you are back. I have followed you for quite sometime but I think this is my first comment. I live about 10 miles south of Albany, NY so I know what this endless winter is like.
Your soup looks so good, definitely going to make it soon! That is great news about your health, my dad was able to avoid diabetes medicine just by making a few simple changes and he feels great. God Bless you and yours.

Laura B.

Jennifer said...

We are in NH and having the same type of winter. Lots and lots of freezing temps and snow. What a great soup for these winter days. I think I'll give it a try. Praise God for your healthier life with healthier food! Thanks for sharing.

Farmlife Chick said...

Looks delicious! So glad to hear of the good news! :)

The Foodie Physician said...

Congrats on the weight loss- that's wonderful! This soup looks so cozy and comforting :)

Kym said...

My son has been asking for beef barley soup lately, which surprises me because he is NOT a fan of vegetables. This recipe looks more appealing to me than the one I used last time I made it. I love almost every soup there is, so I'm easier to please than he is! ;-)