Friday, July 25, 2014

No Place I'd Rather Be for My Birthday!

When it comes to my birthday I would rather just stay home or be at our camp.  I don't like a lot of gifts.  I would rather do something that will create memories.  Honestly I have everything I need.  SO tomorrow we will be headed to my favorite place!!  Can you guess??  The picture below is a hint.
 
 

Did you guess yet?  If that picture didn't help you maybe this one will...

We are going to celebrate my birthday at The Genesee Country Village and Museum.  If you have been a reader for any length of time you know how much we love this place. 

Tomorrow will be the Christmas in July feature at the museum.  We have never been to this so I am looking forward to it.  Believe it or not July was the month many would turn their focus to Christmas.  Remember they could not just go out and purchase things at the store.  They had to make the gifts by hand. 

Gifts were usually sweet bags like the one above or a pair of knitted gloves.  I would much rather receive a gift that is handmade than one that was purchased at a store. 

I know many of my readers would love to visit the museum but just live too far away.  The museum has an online audio tours.  You can sit at home and listen to someone describe some of the museum homes.  Come back tomorrow and see my post about our visit.  Beware...there is usually a ton of pictures. 

I just love to share this place with anyone that will listen!  Have a blessed weekend!!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Happy birthday, Jen! What a fantastic way to celebrate the day, by gifting your family with memories they will treasure all their lives. The sweet bags, are they a sort of sweet smelling sachet? The red things in it look to be rosehips, if I'm not mistaken. As a girl, I was in the Girl Scouts and when the bicentenial was celebrated, we all learned colonial era crafts, like soap and candle making, butter making, how to make salves and balms out of herbs and other things. I remember reading about the natural things used to dye wool and other fabric.

Sandra said...

Happy Birthday Jen. I hope you have a wonderful day at your favorite place on earth :)

Nothing like spending your day at a place that makes you happy.

Wishing you all the best of everything.
Hugs,
Sandra