Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Dr. Pepper Venison Roast {Slow Cooker}

Our son got his very first deer this year. So I've been finding all kinds of recipes for venison.  One recipe I have seen all over the internet for beef roast is one with Dr. Pepper soda.  So I thought we could just throw a venison roast and soda in the slow cooker.  YUM!


Dr. Pepper Venison Roast

4-5 pound venison roast
1 (8 ounce) Dr. Pepper Soda
2 garlic cloves minced
1 onion finely chopped

Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker.  Cook on low 6-7 hours.  Shred and serve with mashed potatoes.  The sauce makes a wonderful gravy.

 You can also use this over bread.  Anyway you serve it is delicious!!

The next recipe we are going to try is Swedish Meatballs.  Enjoy your day!

4 comments:

Mrs. B, a very peculiar person said...

Hi Jen,

I just wanted to stop by and thank you for choosing to follow my blog.
I am enjoying my visit to yours. This Dr. Pepper Venison Roast recipe is also excellent when a spicy can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce is added. We love to shred the meat (may also use pork roast) and serve it in a corn tortilla topped with homemade pico de gallo. Although many find this is a little spicy - it is delish!
I pray you and your family enjoy a blessed Christmas,
Mrs.B

Unknown said...

Just wondering if this recipe got rid of any gamey flavor?

Jen said...

Tracie~ Yes it did get rid of the gamey flavor. Also with venison I often add a small amount of vinegar to the meat. It helps get rid of the gamey flavor.

Anonymous said...

Hi. Is there any reason that Diet Dr. Pepper couldn't be used? I don't think that slow cookers generally caramelize meat, or give it that crispy top layer, so I thought a sugar free option might work? Any thoughts on that?