Sunday, June 2, 2013

We have graduated our first!


We are blessed to be a part of a large homeschool community.  Each year at the end of the homeschool convention there is a beautiful graduation ceremony.  This year we were able to graduate our first child.  My goodness where has the time gone?  Seems like yesterday I was bringing her home from the hospital.  Now she is entering a new phase of her life. Katrina is in the first section second row.  She is diagonal from the young lady in the pink skirt.   This was the largest graduating class our homeschool organization has had.

It was a beautiful day!  Muggy and warm, but the sun was shinning.  We arrived in downtown Rochester at 7:30 am.  Katrina and the rest of the graduates were treated to a delightful breakfast. 

After that was some free time.  We used that time to browse the vendors in the curriculum hall.  This place can be very overwhelming!  There is so much in there for you to look at.  I personally like it because I can really take the time and look at a curriculum.  So many times in our years of homeschooling I have purchased something just to find it really didn't work for us.
This was just one small part of the vendor hall.  It seems to go on forever!  I was glad we were able to browse early in the day before the people arrived.

After the free time we had to report for graduation rehearsal.  This was actually a lot of fun.  We met a lot of parents. 
Practice practice practice.  The practice brought tears to my eyes.  I was worried how I was going to be on stage if just the practice was making me cry.  At one point the parents had to hum the Pomp and Circumstance.  I could not do it.  I started crying and really could not stop.  LOL 

Then it was time for the actual graduation.  I'm thankful to my Dad for taking over the camera for me.  Since we had to sit in a reserved area for parents.  I could not see her coming in.  Each child was given a rose to present to their Mom.  BOY even looking at this picture makes me cry.  I cannot believe I have a daughter who graduated.  She is such a blessing to us.

There was a young man who was graduating yesterday.  His dad was serving in the Army and could not be there.  The homeschool organization arranged a Skype with him to he could still be a part of the day.  The son and wife had no idea it was going to happen.  The Sargent got a standing ovation from the crowd and a huge thanks for his service to our country.

Here we are presenting her with the diploma.  Of course after I let her go.  It's the hardest part of being a parent.  Being able to let them fly from the nest.  Knowing that God has a plan for her and that I MUST let Him do His work in her life. 

Katrina was crying before coming on stage.  As we were headed up onto stage I looked across and saw her.  I could tell she was crying.  From the other side of the stage she looked like that small little child I once knew.  But as she crossed the stage I realized she was now a young woman seeking God's direction in her life.  We no longer make all the decisions in her life.  There comes a point in time when you must let them make the decisions.  Right or wrong, we need to let them choose.  UGH! This is hard.

The sun stayed out so we could get some pictures before the ceremony.  I am glad we did because it was storming out when we got ready to leave.

I wish Hannah would have smiled, but I like this picture.  Andrew is going to be towering over his sisters in no time.

A nice lady volunteered to take our family picture.  I really do not like to be in the pictures.  LOL  Since it was a special day I did.

I'm going to close this post with a few of my favorite buildings in downtown Rochester. 


Years ago my Aunt Nancy would take us into the city to see different things.  This was one of our favorite things to do.  There use to be a revolving restaurant on top of this building.  We would ride the glass elevator on the outside of the building to the top. 

This is the Democrat and Chronicle building.  Our local city newspaper.  One thing I forgot to tell you was that if you happen to see the new Spiderman movie coming out next year you might see some of these buildings.  They filmed a car chase scene here a few weeks ago.

 We cannot forget the Kodak building.  It's kind of a staple here in Rochester. 

When we were getting ready to leave we were pulled aside by Holly, the person who put the graduation ceremony together.  She said that we have such a sweet, compassionate daughter.  She had been praying with the graduates before going on stage to graduate.  Praying for each of their futures and for God to always be first in their lives.  It really warms my heart to hear that kind of thing about our children.

2 comments:

Kym said...

Goodness, that is a big graduating class!! Ours was 14 students, and it's the largest class we've had. LOL Anyway - CONGRATULATIONS!!! To you and to your daughter! Looks like a beautiful and meaningful ceremony to celebrate and honor the grads and the parents who have worked just as hard as the students!

Stacie said...

Oh, Jen!!! Congrats to your daughter and to you and your family!! What a beautiful thing to have your first homeschooling graduate. You've inspired me!