Friday, November 2, 2012

Our week was a little like this

The weather here was a bit crazy this week.  We had Hurricane Sandy come through.  Praise the Lord we were spared the majority of the storm.  We just had a few branches fall from the trees in the front yard.  In the days before the storm hit I cooked up a huge ham.  Enough to feed us for days should we need it.  I made ham and bean soup with it.  This was the first time I did this.  I threw the ham bone and a pound of dried beans into the crockpot.  I added 2 boxes of chicken stock, onion and garlic.  Set it to low and voila soup ready to eat.  Everything was perfectly done.
 
This is what we had at the start of the storm.  As you can see nothing much at all.  We did have some pretty strong wind gusts at times.  I don't know about you, but I love sleeping during wind and rain storms.  My heart breaks for the New York City area.  My husband and I were talking the other night about it.  We just want to jump in the car and drive down there to help.  We know that is not possible at this point.  What we are going to do is start collecting for the homeschoolers down in that area that have lost everything. 
 
Andrew grabbed the camera and got this great shot of a blue jay.  They are aggressive birds but so beautiful.
 
We got busy carving our pumpkins.  Poor Andrew's pumpkin was a bit past it's prime and kind of nasty on the inside.  That is why he has the bag on his hand.  Such a trooper!
 
Hannah really surprised me this year.  She has some sensory issues and will not touch certain things.  She plunged her hand right into the pumpkin.  YES a break through!!  I'm so proud of how far she has come this year.
Finished product!
Hannah's pumpkin.
 
What I love the most is when I upload pictures from the camera and find some "gems" that I know were not ones I took.
 
Silly Boy!
Hannah praising God!  It wasn't hard to narrow down the person behind the camera.  Katrina! They must have done this while we were at our foster class.  Speaking of that, we only have 3 classes left!!  But I believe I told you all that once before. 
 
How was your week?  I'm praying for my fellow new yorkers who lost everything.  Keep your heads up!
 

2 comments:

Conny said...

glad you all "weathered the storm"!!! and those pumpkins are GREAT! :)

sara said...

The kids are so funny. I can't stand touch that slimy stuff.