Thursday, August 9, 2012

King Alfred's English~TOS Review


King Alfred's English: A History of the Language we Speak and Why We Should Be Glad We Do written by Laurie J. White was written to bring the history of our English language to children in grades 7th thru 12th. 

Have you ever been reading something and wondered where the word came from.  I've often wondered where a certain word came from.  I've also wondered why we say the certain things we say.  This book has answered many of our questions and much much more. 

Laurie also has a website The Shorter Word, where I found so much information.   For the teacher I found worksheets, tests and extra resources.  I really enjoyed this section.  I've mentioned before that I like curriculum where the work is done for me.  I just don't have the time to do the lesson plans.  There is also a section just for the students.  Here you will find images, articles, resources and videos related to each chapter.  Everything is right there on her website.  It is very easy to find what we needed.

We are really enjoying this book.  I honestly thought it was going to be a boring book.  But the minute I opened the cover I was hooked.  Then there was the task of getting the kids excited about it.  The worksheets really did help us out a lot.  Which is really surprising to me!  Most of the time our kids would rather go to the dentist than do a worksheet.  We are going to go through her movie selections as well.  I just need some more time to make sure they are appropriate for our family.

If you are interested in learning more about this book the table of contents can be found at Laurie's website.

If you want to purchase this book you can purchase it in many different places.
Kindle~$5.95

This is not only an English book but a history book as well.  If you want to see what my other crewmates are saying about it click on the banner below.

Disclaimer~As a member of TOS Review Crew we were sent this book free in exchange for our honest review.  All opinions are that of myself or my children.

No comments: