Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Simplicity


This weekend while camping our cell phone service and Internet were down.  At first I was in panic mode.  I had a philosophy test I had to take!  Then I got to thinking...I am way too reliant on my electronic gadgets.  I also realized I have become way too concerned with what people are posting on facebook.  I always say I want a life of simplicity....but I immediately go back to my old ways.  I do have to rely on the computer a lot....at least until December when I graduate from college.  Other than that...I must step back and ask myself...why am I wasting so much time on the computer? 

Psalm 128:2-3 says, "When you eat the labor of your hands, You shall be happy, and it shall be well with you.  Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine in the very heart of your house, Your children like olive plants all around your table." 

There is nothing more rewarding than walking out to the garden and harvesting the things we have planted.  We plant the seeds but God is the one who grows them.  To many having a garden may seem like a waste of time....but so is facebook.  I for one love being outdoors with my hands in the dirt.  When I'm outside I feel closer to God.  He created everything around us. 

Now the facebook thing.  Everything now-a-days is instant.  I think the one thing that appealed to me about facebook is how fast everything is.  I strayed away from posting on my blog because of that.   I am not that person.  Perhaps the fact that I'm turning 40 in July has me thinking about life.  I really enjoyed this weekend with NO electronic devices.   I can't remember the last time I sat down and actually wrote a letter to someone.  I use to write to my grandmother once or twice a month.   I'm not going to delete my facebook account.  I'm going to teach myself to be more simplistic.


Proverbs 13:4, "The soul of a lazy man desires, and has nothing; but the soul of the diligent shall be made rich."

We dream of owning our own small farm one day.  Being able to raise our own food, in the ground and in the pasture.  For now we will bloom where we are planted.

2 comments:

Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com said...

Facebook (and Twitter) can really take over our lives. Like you said, there's something about the immediacy of it all. I've had to learn to set aside one day each week to just unplug: phone, laptop, the works. (I haven't been able to get myself to do that on a regular basis in the evenings, though I ought to.) If nothing else, setting aside that one day and making worship and family the focus gives us a chance to recharge and remember what's truly important.

Sandra said...

Jen, I think a lot of us are going through this :) I know you've been away, but since you've been gone I've made some major decisions of my own and one having to do with facebook.

I've gone back to blogging full time, I've reconnected with my old self and I'm loving every minute of it.

Hope to visit you daily and see what you're up to.

Hugs,
Sandra