Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pressure Canning 101

This past spring we found a great deal on a pressure canner.  I've been wanting one for so long....but frankly I was afraid of them.  I had heard many stories of the canners exploding.  So for years I secretly wished for one, but never wanted to get one because of my fear.  This year we took the plunge and bought one.

Introducing the Presto 16 Quart Pressure Canner.  So I'll give you a little tutorial on my first time using this.  I did not get pictures of every step, but I'm sure you will get the just of it.

Step 1...Put your EMS friends on stand-by!  No really I did make sure my EMS friends were within the district.  :-)  You can never be too careful.  Safety first.  :-)

Step 2...Put an experienced canner on the speed dial.  Mine was Rebecca of Foodie with Family.

Step 3...Prepare the food you want to can.  I kept it simple for my first time.  I made applesauce.


Step 4...Place applesauce into hot jars and seal with lid and screw band.

Step 5...Pour boiling water into your pressure canner.  There are lines on the inside of the canner to tell you how much to add.  Easy!  Place the jars into the canner and put the top on.  I found that there is only one way you can put the top on.



Step 6...put the fire on high and bring the pressure up in the canner.  When the steam starts coming out of the top place your weight on the top.  It will start dancing around.  Feel free to boogie with it!!  Once it starts dancing adjust the fire so that it is dancing a slow jig not a fast one.  Now start timing it according to what you are canning.  5 pounds of pressure for 10 minutes was what I did for the applesauce.



Step 7...let the canner reduce pressure on it's own.  Just turn off the stove and let it sit.  Remove the lid away from you.  Take the jars out of the canner and place them on a towel to cool.  Make sure they do not touch.

I have no idea why I was ever afraid of the pressure canners.  The new models of pressure canners are not your grandma's canners!!  I'm completely hooked!!  Next week I'm going to make soup, and apple pie filling.  I might even do pumpkin as well.  YEA!!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Don't do the pumpkin. Something about canning pumpkin causes toxins. I canned a bunch of pumpkin several years ago and had to throw it out. I can't remember all the details but you can google it.