Friday, January 14, 2011

Homeschooling children with learning disABILITIES.

Our daughter asked me the other day, "mommy why did God make me dumb?"  That question drove through me like a knife.  It completely took my breath away.  I was at a loss for words....not sure what to say or how to answer her.  What seemed like hours between the question and my answer was but a few seconds.  I quickly prayed for God to give me the wisdom to be able to answer her with grace.  I could of said oh honey your not dumb and left it at that.  But I could tell from the look on her face she was really troubled. 

Psalm 139:13-15 says,
For You formed my inward parts;
         You covered me in my mother’s womb.
  I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
         Marvelous are Your works,
         And that my soul knows very well.
 My frame was not hidden from You,
         When I was made in secret,
         And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

God knew what he was doing when He made us.  BUT how do you tell a child that has learning disABILITIES that it's because God wanted them that way.  One who struggles each day to get through just the basic lessons.  One who's mind just doesn't work like a "normal" child's.  Someone who hears from people around her "why don't you get that?!!"  I don't believe these people are doing it to hurt...most people do not intentionally say things to hurt...they just don't think.

So how did I answer her?  I used myself as an example.  I struggled through school a lot.  I admit mostly it was because I'd rather be outside playing!!  But I still have to write everything down in order to learn it.  Including scripture!  Here is what I told her....there is nothing anywhere that says you have to learn a certain thing at a specific time.  Like learning geometry or algebra in 5th grade.  I don't think I ever really learned or understood algebra until my sophomore year in college.  Mostly it has to do with how it is taught. 

We are currently reevaluating our homeschool trying to tweek this and that.  Finding what will work.  We have learned that each of our children learn differently at different times of the day.  Katrina our oldest learns best late afternoon.  Hannah learns best in little bits through out the day.  Andrew learns best first thing in the morning.  This is why we homeschool!!  They would just be swallowed up in the public or even private school where they were made to fit inside a box that is just way too small for them!!  I am also teaching myself to STOP comparing ourselves to "that family".  I need to keep reminding myself we are THIS family not that one.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Thank you for the encouragement. I know that one day we too will be asked a similar question. I have linked your post on my blog because it has brought such freedom and peace of mind for me today.

Thank you!

Blessings,
~Amy

Write-Out-Of-The-Box said...

God bless your mother-heart! Thank you for sharing your heart through your blog site. I'm blessed by your answer to your precious child's question and assuring her of God's love and care for her and your family. Your commitment to home school and be a loving, sheltering mother to your precious children has greatly encouraged me in my own journey as a home schooler. Yes, each of us is accountable to God for our own children. This is humbling to me. Because I experience God's mercies everyday. And by His grace and mercies, I journey on with the joy of the Lord blessing me with strength. Our righteous God bless you in the hallow of His hand as you seek to follow Him closely, in Christ Jesus, God the Son. Maryknoll