Thursday, December 16, 2010

Hospitality begins with contentment!


If you have been a reader of my blog for sometime now you know I do not share information freely with my readers.  You could say I do not wear my heart on my sleeve.  The Lord has been nudging me to write about these subjects for some time.  I have felt the need to have more hospitality for a long time now.  I desperately need that Christian fellowship.  Sadly we do not get it from people at church.  We have started fellow shipping with a few families with whom we are starting a church with.  That has been a big blessing. 

As for having people over to our house...I shy away from it for many reasons.  Our house is very small!  Almost every room has something that needs to be finished.  But in order to finish the rooms we need money...something we have none of.  We need to finish our roof, finish painting the house, new windows and doors...the list goes on and on.  In order to do all of these we need money!!  We are behind in our bills and have been for sometime now.  I'm not sure we will ever catch up.  I see the stress on my husband's face.  The worry and frustration that comes along with financial problems. I in no way shape or form blame him for our troubles.  It's not a fault of anything except circumstances.   We do not go out to eat, buy things on credit ect.

My parents offered for us to take over their mortgage and "rent" it until the Lord calls us somewhere to ministry.  They would like to downsize into something smaller.   I thought it was a gift from God and answer to prayer!!  Their home is completely remodeled, nothing needs to be done to it!  The kids would have a room of their own.  And as a person who had siblings I know having your own space is huge to a child.  My husband could have a study/office of his own!!  I could confidently and warmly welcome others into the house.  I'm not sure why my husband would not go for it.  Maybe it's the hold this house has on him because he grew up here and the house was left to him by his parents when they passed away.  But it is a material...worldly possession.   Shouldn't we be prepared to go when called?  God will not call us into ministry with all this debt...nor should we even be eligible to go (my belief).  I know the Lord works everything out...but should we be sitting on our hands waiting?

With all that said, I need to learn to be content with what I have right?!  A drafty, old home that needs a lot of work and no money to complete that work.  Don't get me wrong my husband is a wonderful man of God!  I have to live with his wishes because I'm his wife. (Colossians 3:18-19 "Wives, submit to your own husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be bitter toward them.") I've been struggling with this for many years.  I don't have all the answers...but I know God does.  I need to continue praying that His will be done.  Please pray with me as I work through this issue prayerfully.

1 Timothy 6:6-7
But godliness with contentment is great gain.
 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.


No comments: