Friday, December 17, 2010

Are you ready for Jesus?

While reading an Advent devotional I came across something that really struck me.  Whenever I'm out and about shopping, at the bank or where ever I'm always being asked "Are you ready for Christmas?" Or until recently "Are you ready for the holidays?"  Then I got this devotional from Biblegateway.com.  I'm going to share the poem with you.

"Ready for Christmas," she said with a sigh
As she gave a last touch to the gifts piled high...
Then wearily sat for a moment AND READ
Til soon, very soon, she was nodding her head.
Then quietly spoke a voice in her dream,
"Ready for Christmas, what do you mean?"
She woke with a start and a cry of despair.
"There's so little time and I've still to prepare.
Oh, Father!  Forgive me, I see what You mean!
Yes, more than the giving of gifts and a tree. 
It's the heart swept clean that He wanted to see,
A heart that is free from bitterness and sin.
So be ready for Christmas - and ready for Him.

What do you think it means to be "ready for Christmas?"

What do you think it means to be ready for Jesus?

It is so easy to get caught up in the glitter and glamor of CHRISTmas that you loose focus on why we have it in the first place.  We give our children 3 gifts for CHRISTmas.  Each represent the gifts Christ got from the wisemen...Gold (usually the most expensive one), Frankincense and Myrrh. (Matthew 2:11)
We are also going to start the hunt for Baby Jesus this year.  We will hid the baby and the kids will search for him.  When they find it we will read the CHRISTmas story....before they open any gifts.  We will see how it goes.  We really want our children to focus on Christ before themselves.

No comments: