Monday, July 26, 2010

Sourdough Starter Day 1 and 2

Sandra over at Diary of a SAHM made a sourdough starter from the recipe the West Ladies shared on their video "The Art of Breadmaking".  I decided to give it a try.  Little did I know I would be blessed the next day with the video!!

DAY 1
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in the jar.


Next add the warm water. Stir well!


Now watch the bubbles appear!!


Just an FYI:  Make sure the jar you are using is large!!  My first batch over flowed...creating a big mess! LOL!  No pictures of that...sorry!

DAY 2
I noticed yesterday my starter looked like this!  My first reaction was ewww!  What did I do wrong??  So I went back to the video and noticed they said I need to stir it from time to time.  So after I stirred it, it began to look ok again.


Tada!!  There are no bubbles, but I'm going to feed it later and I'm sure the bubbles will come back.  Like the foil under my jar?  I'm not cleaning up another mess on my counter!! :-)

How is your sourdough starter?  If you have not ever made this, give it a try!  It really is hard to mess up...I think...LOL!

If you have questions like I did you can go HERE and read all about your starter.  This website is full of information and pictures.  I like pictures :-)

No comments: