Monday, October 12, 2009

Happy Homemaker Monday

The weather in my neck of the woods: F*R*I*G*I*D!! Jack Frost came here last night. I looked at the thermometer on the porch and it said 25 degrees!!! I'm not sure if it is that cold or not, but I know it was cold.

One of my simple pleasures: snuggling on the couch with an afghan and a good book or movie.

On my bedside table: Bible, cell phone.

On my TV: Andrew is watching something. I gave him slight control of the TV...since its his birthday.

On the menu for tonight: we are going out to eat, we let the birthday child pick what they would like to have, they can either get something here, or eat out....woohoo we are eating out!

On my To Do List: put the plastic up on windows, it is supposed to be pretty cold here this week...not getting out of the 40's!! I'm not ready for this kind of cold temps. I'm also going to do a lot of baking to help with heating the house. I'm thinking bread, cookies, maybe an apple pie.

New Recipe I tried last week: I had some spelt here that I wanted to use in bread. Since I had never had or tried using spelt before I thought I'd gradually introduce it to my family. So I took a normal white bread recipe and used half all purpose flour and half spelt flour. It was very good! Tasted a lot like whole wheat. Spelt is easily digested and is high in nutrients which help in blood clotting and stimulating the immune system. What better time to experiment than the beginning of flu and cold season. I challenge you to try something new this week. Maybe a new food product or a new flour.

In the craft basket: cards and paper crafts

Looking forward to: celebrating my son Andrew's birthday. He is 10 today! I'm having a bit of a struggle with this one since he is my baby.

Homemaking Tip for this week: keep an empty laundry basket handy for the times when people suddenly drop over, you can put the stuff that is out of place in there until later.

Favorite Blog Post of the week (mine or other): did not have one.

Favorite photo from last week: last weekend we went to our favorite museum and this is a picture taken in one of the houses. The cook was making a chicken soup with biscuits. I could just sit in this house all day and watch the cook.
Lesson learned the past few days: God has you placed where he wants you at the moment. I've been struggling these past few weeks with home schooling. I had lost the desire to school the kids. It wasn't that they were bad or didn't want to learn, I just did not have the desire to prepare lessons ect. After many days of prayer and the kids reading a lot of library books...lol! I realized that this is where God wants me.

On my Prayer List: my family, unsaved family and friends, our church (we are in the middle of our missionary conference, I really enjoy this time) my sister who is expecting a baby in April (she had another ultrasound and everything looked great with the baby, it is growing and moving around a lot, they even heard the heart beat again)!!
Devotionals, Scripture Reading, Key Verses: Nehemiah 6:8 ..."No such things as you say have been done, for you are inventing them out of your own mind."
The missionary spoke on Nehemiah last night, and used this as an example on how to handle adversity. When someone in his sending church was accusing others of things this is the verse the Pastor wrote on a piece of paper...nothing else just his verse. He then sent the note back to him. Of course there was more to the story but I loved it!!
To see other Happy Homemaker posts visit Diary of a SAHM.

3 comments:

Debra said...

Thanks for stopping by!
Gosh, it's cold there already. Stay warm.
Happy Birthday to your son.
Have a great day.

Jodi said...

25?? Brrrrr

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

Thank you for stopping by! Hope you had a lovely Monday and stayed warm. :)