Thursday, August 7, 2008

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

Our children love to put chocolate syrup on everything....well ok not everything thank goodness! Since I do not like chocolate (I know what kind of woman does not like chocolate??)it makes it difficult for me. I found this recipe in my Mom's card file. It is not as thick as store purchased chocolate syrup but the kids do not complain, and it is SO much cheaper than the purchased kind. I saved a container from purchased chocolate syrup to put the homemade one in.

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup water

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Dash of salt


Combine cocoa, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Add water and mix until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil. Allow it to boil for one minute, being careful that it does not boil over.
Remove from heat. When cool, add vanilla extract.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow! That looks yummy. I'll have to print this recipe and keep it on hand. I bet that's good drizzled on pound cake!

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

Ha, I made the same thing this week. My son does not like it, but that just means he will drink less chocolate milk which is okay with me because I am not going to buy store bought chocolate syrup anymore! What do you think of the taste?

Sandra said...

Wow I'll have to try that :)