Saturday, January 24, 2015

Come in and visit for a minute...

Goodness it seems like ages since I updated my blog.  It has been a whirlwind since the beginning of the year.  I have been sick on and off since Christmas.  This last round of sickness landed me in the hospital.  Let me back up to the week of New Years Eve.  I started having a lot of pain in my kidney area.  So because it was New Years I thought it would be a good idea to go get checked out.  My husband took me to Urgent Care in a lot of pain.  We waited for FOUR hours before being seen by a doctor.  My name was finally called.  We went back the woman didn't even examine me!  She just said I had an UTI.  She put me on some antibiotics and sent us on our merry way.  I took the antibiotics and felt a lot better....until I finished them.  Almost the day I finished I was in so much pain!  The worst pain I have ever felt in my life.  I have had kidney stones once in the past so I was sure that is what I had.  My husband was battling a very bad cold and had taken some PM cold medicine.  I paced the floor for 7 hours, counting each minute so I knew when he would be ok to drive me to the ER.  We arrived around 4 am, I was in such pain.  Thankfully, the ER was empty when we got there.  So they took me right back and got to work.  I did indeed have a kidney stone.  I knew I had one way back when I went to the Urgent Care.  Everything is much better now!  My doctor is sending me through all kinds of testing, but that is typical of her.  One thing is for certain...it is time to get serious about the way we eat.

My friend Kiley was talking on Facebook about a new cookbook she had just bought, 100 Days of Real Food.  Of course I went and checked it out.  The authors website is amazing!! If you are the least bit interested in eating better you need to head on over to her website.  She offers free meal plans!  I don't know about you but I love having someone give me a meal plan.  Especially when we are trying to eat better.  Along with the menu she gives you a grocery list.  So we ordered the cookbook and are awaiting its arrival. 


So this weekend I got to work using "real food" ingredients to make some things while we wait on the book.  My granola is honey, oats, peanut butter (we bought natural peanut butter), and flax.  I will have this over some organic yogurt.


Yesterday I made split pea soup from the 100 Days of Real Food website.  I used a ham we bought from a farmer we know.  SO good and healthy.  After I pureed the soup you could not even tell there was no cream in it.  It was so thick and creamy.

Getting away from processed food is no easy task.  But it is not as hard as you think!  We just need to be more aware of what is in our food and where it comes from.  We are now watching the labels of our food very carefully!  We are going to phase out white sugar and replace it with honey.  We get our honey from a local bee keeper.  So over the next few weeks we will be switching over completely.  We also ordered a tortilla press to make our own tortillas.  I know you can roll them out with a rolling pin but we prefer a press.  It gives us a more uniform tortilla.  I am excited about this journey we are on.  The garbage that is put into our food is slowly killing us. 

No comments: