Sunday, November 23, 2014

It's a chili and cornbread kind of day!

I am still a bit under the weather today so I needed something to knock this out of me.  So since I have not made chili in so long this is what I chose.

I started out yesterday soaking and pre-cooking some dried pinto beans.  I do this by placing the dried beans in the crockpot.  Cover with water and cook on low for about 5-6 hours.  Then I drained and rinsed them.  


This morning I took the beans out of the refrigerator and placed them back into the crockpot.  I added a large can of crushed tomatoes, a jar of spaghetti sauce, water (I just filled the spaghetti jar up), one pound of hamburger, one pound of sausage and chili seasonings.  I mixed it all in the crockpot and cooked for about 4 hours on low. 


Nothing goes with chili better than cornbread.  I was so excited when I found a recipe using the bread maker on Bread Machine Diva.  My bread machine has a cake setting that I had never used until today.  This bread was SO good!  My family said it tastes a lot like what you get at Cracker Barrel. 


I honestly think it is better than Cracker Barrel because it is not have as much oil in it.  I certainly have missed using my bread machine.  Now that lunch is all cleaned up I have a loaf of pumpernickel in the bread maker.  This is my husband's favorite bread!  So he will be pretty surprised.


So how has your Sunday been? 

No comments: