Saturday, September 13, 2014

Pickled Banana Peppers

My really good friend Jen blessed us with a large amount of peppers.  We had banana peppers, jalapeño peppers and habanero peppers.  So my husband and I chopped and canned the peppers today.  We love pickled hot peppers.  They are great on pizza and added to roasts.


So lets get started shall we!  Get all of your items together that you need before beginning.  Now this is not a complete how-to for canning.  If you are not familiar with how to can search for the Ball website.  They have great instructions.


The longest part of the whole process is chopping up the peppers.  Word of warning...if you have sensitive skin please wear rubber gloves.  I have never had trouble with hot peppers burning me.  I am very thankful my husband came out to help me in the kitchen.  It made the process so much easier.  It was also a lot of fun working side by side with him.


Pickled Banana Peppers

4 cups vinegar (I used half white and half apple cider)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 pound of banana peppers (enough to fill 4 pint jars)

Remember I assume you know all the dos and don't about canning with this recipe.  So that includes what you need to do with the jars. 

In a large pan add the vinegar, sugar, mustard seed and celery seed.  Bring this mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to keep it warm.



Fill your pint jars with the sliced peppers.  So they are full.  With one of the batches I started playing around with the flavors.  I added granulated garlic (1 teaspoon), dried minced onion (1 teaspoon) and some allspice (1/2 teaspoon).

Fill the jars with the brine leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  Process the jars in a water bath for 10 minutes. 

So what have you been canning?  Tomorrow I will be making a peach jelly and hot pepper jelly.


1 comment:

Wendi said...

This week I will be making pickled green tomatoes. I love it when hubby works in the kitchen with me!