Sunday, August 3, 2014

Laura Ingalls Wilder Day at the Genesee Country Village and Museum

If you have been a reader for any length of time you know how much we enjoy visiting The Genesee Country Village and Museum.  It is a local living history museum near us.  Every year they hold Laura Ingalls Wilder Days.  We attend every year!  This year was no different.  Every year they invite one of the actors from Little House on the Prairie.  This year we had the pleasure of hearing Melissa Sue Anderson, aka Mary.

She was so down to earth.  You could tell she wasn't real comfortable up there.  She left acting to be a stay-at-home mom.  I love that. 

She has written a book about her experience on the show.  I cannot wait to read it.  The title is "The Way I See It".  She told us about when she first went in to read the script in front of Michael Landon.  One of her favorite people on the show was Richard Bull, aka Mr. Olsen.  To her he was just a regular guy.

Her daughter Piper came with her.  My daughters were amazed at how much she looks like Melissa.  She had no desire to pursue acting.  According to Melissa, Piper has "too much sense" to go into acting. 

She brought some kids up to help her read a scene from her book.  In all my years of going to this did I ever see someone do this.  She really does consider herself a normal person. 


My daughters had so much fun.  We enjoyed each others company.  They were so excited to hear "Mary" speak. 


Next we headed over to the Brooks Grove Church (where my husband and I were married!) to hear William Anderson speak about the history of the Ingalls family.  I always look forward to hearing him.  He knows so much about the family. I have most of the books he has written. 

It was so dark and cloudy today.  Just not very favorable to take pictures.  Many of them did not turn out.  There are activities through out the museum related to the books.  You could churn butter, identify coins like Mary did by touch, make a rag doll, pig bladder toss and a few more.  The girls have done this in the past and did not want to do it again.  I hope next year they get some new activities to try out.


We just love it here!  I know I've said it before...and I know I'll say it again.  It's just one of those places we enjoy coming to. 

2 comments:

Sandra said...

How fun, and I would have loved to meet *Mary* :)

I love your girls photo, it's funny but the bonnet Katrina is wearing, I have the exact same one LOL

Glad you had a great time :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Now that is something I would really enjoy.