Friday, April 18, 2014

Biscuit Mix

Here is yet another mix I want to share with you.  I am positive once you make this mix you will never purchase the box mix again! 


Can you see my new little beauty in the background?  My delightful hubby got me a lime green 5 quart stand mixer.  I had the smallest one they made, I think it was a 3 quart one.  It was about 20 years old.  I was sad to see it go it was like my little kitchen companion all these years.  I was able to bless a family with my old one.  So I know it will be cherished as they use it.  OK enough blabbing onto the recipe.

Biscuit Mix

8 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 Tablespoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups instant powdered milk (I used 1/2 cup of powdered buttermilk)
2 1/4 cups shortening

In a large bowl, sift together all dry ingredients.  Blend well.  With pastry blender, cut in shortening until it resembles pea-like mixture.


Put this into an airtight container and use within 10 weeks.  Honestly it never lasts around here that long.  You can use this to make biscuits, coffeecakes, muffins and even cornbread.


Then you take these same delicious biscuits and make chicken n biscuits....


I use to think making things from scratch were a lot of hassle.  Now I know they are not.  In the time it takes me to get in the car, go to the store, check-out and come back home, I can make this mix up. 

3 comments:

Lulu said...

looks delich

Sandra said...

I'm saving this recipe because I've wanted to make it for a while, but you've inspired me to go ahead and do it :)

Mary said...

What a great idea! I like being able to have an alternative to bisquick, as I can be sure it doesn't have all the preservatives the packaged mix has. Jen, would you share your recipe for chicken 'n' biscuits, please? It looks so good. Here's wishing your family a happy and blessed Easter!