Friday, March 7, 2014

Becky's Stuffed Pork Chops

My friend from high school, Becky, gave this recipe to me a while ago.  I am always searching for recipes to sneak introduce different foods to my family.  Spinach is one of those foods my family usually turns their noses up at.  It's easy to throw a handful into a salad, but not as easy to put into a cooked dish.  That is why I was SO excited about this recipe.



Stuffed Pork Chops
5 boneless pork chops
5 medium onions, caramelized (see the bottom of this post on how I do this)
1 bag baby spinach
1 container of baby bellas, chopped up
1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese shredded
Salt and Pepper to taste
 
Wilt the spinach and mushrooms with a little salt and pepper and butter.  Cook until the spinach is wilted a little and the mushrooms are soft.
 
Very carefully, make a pocket in the pork chop.  Do not slice the pork chop all the way through.  Place some of the onions, filling and cheese in the pocket of the pork chop.  Close the pocket with toothpicks.
 
Place the rolled up chops into a 13x9 pan.  Bake covered at 370 degrees for about 25 minutes (depending on your oven and thickness of your pork chops). 
 
The liquid will make a wonderful gravy to pour over the top.  To do this just transfer the juice to a sauce pan and bring to boil.  Place 2 tablespoons of flour in a small amount of water.  Slowly add this to the pan while whisking.  Season with salt and pepper.


Now with the caramelized onions a local blogger I know Foodie with Family showed me a delightful trick!  Use the slow cooker!!  Genius!  I did mine a little different.  But basically the same idea.

First slice up all the onions.  No real measurements.  I used about 7 medium sized onions.  Place all of these into a slow cooker.
 I place about 3 Tablespoons of butter, salt and pepper to the slow cooker as well.  Set your slow cooker to low.  Cook about 10 hours.  I let mine cook all night.  In the morning we had this....

Dark and deep flavored onions.  These do freeze very well.