Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Journey with Kefir Grains

My husband and I have heard so much about kefir grains.  We've been reading through the book "Nourishing Traditions" written by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig.  They talk about kefir grains and how good they are for you.  So we placed it on the very long list of "we must try".

So what on earth is kefir?  Well it is according to the dictionary, "a sour-tasting drink made from cow's milk fermented with certain bacteria."  It is very popular in Russia.  The kefir milk is then used in many ways.  You can drink it plain.  Or perhaps make a smoothie with it. 

Back a few weeks ago I won a $25 gift certificate from Savy Tea and Herbs.  After browsing the website I noticed they sold kefir grains!  WOOOHOO!  I was going to finally take the plunge and order some.  I even went and purchased the strainer they sell as well.  I'm always a bit nervous when it comes to trying new things.  But let me tell you..the folks at Savy Tea and Herbs really put your mind at ease when ordering from them.  Not only do you get the best product you also get the support for using their kefir grains properly.  They emailed me detailed step by step instructions on how to use the grains.

So the day finally came when the order arrived.

This is what the package looked like with the kefir grains in it. 

Step one...
Place the kefir grains into a mason jar (do not use metal at all!).  Empty the entire contents of the package into the jar. 


Step Two...
Pour one cup of cold milk over the grains.  Then place a paper towel or coffee filter over the jar.  This will keep out fruit flies and other bugs.  Place a rubber band over the coffee filter or paper towel to hold into place.

Place on the counter out of direct sunlight for 48 hours. Stir the kefir at least 2-3 times a day.

 Then I have to drain and do the steps over again.  I have to do this at least 3 times.  Then the grains will start to thicken and be ready to use.

Tomorrow I will strain for the first time and add another cup of milk.

Here is a closer picture of the grains, they look a little like oatmeal to me.

Come back as we go through this journey with kefir grains.





No comments: