Friday, November 19, 2010

It snowed....which means Gingerbread!!

We didn't get this much but I forgot to take a picture this morning of the snow.  It wasn't much but enough to say we got some.  The reason everyone in our family is excited about this is because we bake gingerbread on the first snow of the season!!  This is a tradition we started 5 years ago when we started homeschooling.  It is now something everyone looks forward to.  Even my parents who stop by for some warm gingerbread after work.  This is a recipe I got from Laura Ingalls Wilder's cookbook.  I love old recipes!!  If you are not familiar with recipes from the 1800's and early 1900's you might be a bit confused.  As well as the way they are written out.  They are written in paragraph form rather than in recipe forms we know today.


LAURA'S GINGERBREAD
 
1 cup brown sugar blended with 1/2 cup lard or shortening.
 
1 cup molasses mixed well with this.


Dissolve 2 teaspoons of baking soda in 1 cup boiling water mix well.  Do not worry about the way it looks in this step.  The first time I made it I thought something went wrong.  When you add the baking soda it will foam up...it's OK.  That's a good thing.


In a separate bowl mix 3 cups of flour and one teaspoon each of the following spices: ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves; and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sift all into molasses mixture and mix well.


Add lastly 2 well-beaten eggs. 
The mixture should be quite thin. Raisins and, or, candied fruit may be added.  Personally I like it just the way it is!


Bake in a moderate oven (I set my oven for 350) for thirty minutes.

I hope you enjoyed your visit!  Let me tell you it is GOOD!!!

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Just bookmarked it and am going to make it as soon as it snows again. Can't wait :)