Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bagel Bread

I always do bread this way. I have never had luck making bread without my breadmaker. I have not baked the bread in the bread maker for sometime because the bread comes out very small.

This is my breadmaker, a Sunbeam, which I have found has been discontinued. :-( I really like this model. I had another one which I did not care for. This one even has a setting to make jam in, I have yet to use this, but I'm thinking about trying it.

This recipe could easily be adapted for those who choose to make it the "old fashioned way".

Gather your ingredients. Flour, salt, sugar, egg, milk and yeast.


Place in the breadmaker pan according to manufacter instructions. For those of you that do not have a bread maker, some manufacters instruct you to place the liquids first (which is what mine says) and some tell you to place dry. Press the dough cycle and start.

When the dough cycle is over take the dough out of the pan. Sorry I didn't get a picture of this step, by the time I remembered my hands were all messy. Place the dough in a greased bread pan and let it rise until doubled in size.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.



Here is what you end with. Surprisingly it does taste somewhat like a bagel. Next time I'm going to play around with the recipe and make cinnamon raisin.
Bagel Bread

1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup water
1 egg
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough setting and press start.

After the cycle ends remove from the pan and place in a bread pan. Let it rise until doubled in size, then bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 mins depending on your oven.

No comments: