Thursday, May 28, 2015

Healthy Sloppy Joes {21 Day Fix}

One of the challenges I have been facing lately has been recreating our family favorites into healthier versions.  As I have mentioned in previous posts I have made a lifestyle change to get healthy and lose weight.  I did not want to "miss" out on the foods we enjoy.  That is how this recipe came about.


Healthy Sloppy Joes

1 pound ground turkey
1 white onion finely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper chopped
1/2 green bell pepper chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
1 (28 oz.) can tomato sauce, no salt or sugar added
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon raw honey

Brown the turkey until no longer pink.  Add in the onion, peppers, garlic, tomato sauce, chili powder and cumin.  Cook until the onions and peppers are soft. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.  Stir in the honey right towards the end.  Serve over cooked pasta or a slice of bread. Serving size would be 1 1/3 cup of sauce over your choice of a carb. or yellow container.

For the 21 Day Fix container count it would be: 1 RED 1 GREEN 1 YELLOW 1/2 PURPLE


I hope you enjoy this as much as we did.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Oh that sounds delicious, and serving it with pasta puts me in mind of a dish I grew up with and still enjoy, American Chop Suey. I will definatey give this a try! Congratulations on all you're achieving, Jen!