Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Taco Lasagna

I have the week off so I'm planning on cooking up a storm.  That is one thing I've missed since starting my job was cooking for my family.  We feel like just a bunch of ships passing in the night.  Hardly being able to spend time together.  So today I made Taco Lasagna. 



Taco Lasagna

2 pounds ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 onion, finely chopped
3 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning (Or one envelope of store bought)
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
1 container cottage cheese (or ricotta cheese)
1 egg
1 quart crushed tomatoes
2 jars taco sauce (I used Old El Paso Roasted Garlic and Chili Sauce)
1 box lasagna noodles (I use Barilla thin sheets)

Cook the ground meat with the onions until no longer pink.  Add the taco seasoning and stir until well combined.

In a small bowl mix the cottage cheese with the egg.  In a separate bowl mix the crushed tomatoes and taco sauce together. 

In a greased 9x13 pan place a small amount of the tomato mixture in the bottom.  Place a layer of noodles, then cottage cheese, next add meat, then cheese, finally tomato mixture.  Repeat these layers until you have used up all the ingredients.  Finish with a layer of noodles and sauce.  Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top.  Cover with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees. 


This was SO good.  I really have missed cooking and sharing recipes with all of you.  This could even be done with egg noodles.  We tried it with flour tortillas.  It was good but the tortillas became very doughy.   That wasn't very appetizing to my family.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

That sounds really yummy Jen.