Sunday, May 11, 2014

Best Mothers Day!

Today was one of the greatest I have had in such a long time.  I was able to sleep in until 9:00 AM!!  One by one the kids came into our room to wish me a happy mother's day.  It's those times I cherish.  The one on one time with each of my children. 

I quietly sipped my cup of coffee this morning.  My husband and kids packed us a picnic lunch and away we went.  One of the main reasons I look forward to Mother's Day each year is because our favorite place on Earth opens for the season!!  The Genesee Country Village and Museum opens on Mother's Day weekend.  There is no other place I would rather be.  People often ask if we get tired of the museum.  Not a chance.  There is always something to learn and something new to see.  Often we just enjoy finding a quiet spot in the museum to sit.  Listen to the birds chirp, smell the wood fires burning, wildlife running through the brush.  It really is like stepping back into the 19th Century. 

A yummy lunch of sandwiches, potato salad, granola bars, potato chips and Cheetos.  We sat at a picnic table over looking the Grand Meadow.  We had a time of wonderful conversation and a lot of laughing!

We strolled through the village and stopped at a few of our favorite places.  The first one was one of the churches. 

This is the smaller of the churches in the village.  St. Feehans is the name of it.  The huge windows are just beautiful in there.


The organ sits at the back of the church.  The detail is just breath-taking.  Someday I would love to hear this played. 

All around the perimeter of the church are these beautiful black iron fence.  One of our favorite things to do at the museum is to stop and take in all the details. 

The street signs through out the village are among my favorite details in the museum.  They do such a wonderful job at making it look and feel like an authentic village.

There are benches scattered all over the museum.  It is just the perfect spot to sit and take in all the sights.  One thing we love about having a membership is that we can spend as much or as little time here.  We go often so we just visit a few houses at a time.

Here is our favorite place at the museum!  It was here we were married!!  Hannah always says, "This is where we became a family!"  Her words sum it up exactly!

Next door to the Brooks Grove Church is the Livingston Backus House.  This is the cook.  They were busy making bread today.  This is another house where I just love to take in all the details.

Some pottery and a gorgeous butter mold.  I have a few of the pottery pieces that were made at the museum. 

Now you can see why every time we visit I get the urge to go home and bake and or cook something!


Baskets of cookie cutters and molds.  I think I am starting to see why I have such an obsession with baskets.  It often amazes me how something so simple can be so beautiful!

Here is the bread dough set by the fire to rise.  I just love this photo.  Someday I want to take one of the hearth cooking classes that the museum have.  I would get to dress in period dress and learn from one of the cooks how to cook on the hearth.

The girls were able to take part in a quilting bee.  They loved it. 

The quilters were very good at reassuring the girls they could not mess this up.  Now they both keep asking me to sew! Yay!  That just makes me happy. 

They had to sew around the leaf on the fabric.  Not bad if you ask me.  Perhaps I need to have hubby build me a quilt holder?!

Just a simple pin cushion and spool of thread.  Another one of those details I was mentioning earlier in the post. The next few pictures are more details I enjoy looking at.



 
This was a second edition Jane Eyre book that is displayed in the Jones Farm House.

See another basket...obsession I say! 

This is the cheese press they use to make the cheese.  Again this is another photo showing you some of the details at the museum.  Its the little things that often catch my eye.

The Jones Farm cook was making a Potato and Leek soup with dumplings.  Oh my did it smell good in there.

Here is one of the lovely oxen that the museum has.  Such a beautiful animal. 

Blossoms on the peach or pear tree.  Such beautiful flower blossoms.  It amazes me so that by summer there will be fruit on the tree. 


I do occasionally wear skirts and dresses.  I often wonder why the clothing changed so over the centuries.  Just something I ponder often.  I really wish the days of modesty was alive and well in our world. 

All around the museum there are just yards and yards of fencing.  It is all hand crafted like it would have been back in the 19th Century.  I love this photo!  I often just find myself shooting tons of pictures.  I just never know what I will capture.

Many of the houses have some kind of fence around it.  I am very fond of the white picket fence.  I would love to have one someday.

There is a neat little trail through the woods in part of the museum.  I had never been on this trail before.  It was neat!  We found ramps, and some wild flowers.

My two favorite guys.  The boulders on this trail are huge.   I just love strolling in the woods in early spring. 


The cook down in the Pioneer Cabin.  I just love this house.  She as making Johnny Cakes and parsnips.  Sounds good to me!

Don't they just look good!!  I have never tried parsnips before.  I have always wanted to try them.

I also love to take pictures of the many windows in the museum.  I love to incorporate them into my blog headers.  Here is one of my favorites.  The girls are sitting in the schoolhouse. 

Well I hope I didn't completely bore you to death with his incredibly long post.  Happy Mother's Day to all my Mommy readers out here.  I pray you had a beautiful day.

2 comments:

Farmlife Chick said...

Happy Mother's Day! I loved all the photos!

Sandra said...

Oh I could never be bored, I was actually hoping there were more. You and I are very much alike and I only hope that one day we can meet in person :)

I would love nothing more than to spend a whole day with you at the museum :)