Thursday, December 10, 2009

Slow Cooking Thursday

I have been off the Internet more lately. I guess it is the fact that Christmas is just around the corner. Monday we had a cookie making day at our Church. It was a lot of fun.

I got thinking the other day about when I was a kid and things my Mom made. I found this recipe and it reminds me of the 7 layer casserole Mom makes. This recipe serves 4 so I doubled it so we would have leftovers.

Eight Layer Casserole

1/2 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons bacon bits
1 onion chopped
1 small can of tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (i leave this out)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2/3 cup long grain rice
1 can corn drained
1/2 cup green pepper chopped

Crumble beef in the bottom of the crockpot. Sprinkle with bacon bits and then the onion. In a bowl combine tomato sauce, water, chili powder, salt and pepper. Pour half over the beef and onion. Add rice then corn and pour the rest of the sauce over the top. Add green pepper to the top. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or until the rice is tender.

To see more slow cooking posts visit Diary of a SAHM.

No comments: