Thursday, November 5, 2009

Love and Respect Review


I was given the opportunity to read and review books published by Nelson publishers. The first book I chose was Love and Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs. The book is based on Ephesians 5:33 "Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband." The book was boring to read. I felt as if I was in a room listening to a bunch a PHD's talking and it was hard to hold my attention. With that said, the book was full of wonderful information for couples.
The author, Dr. Eggerichs had a lot of good advise for both husbands and wives. It would be better to read it as a couple. Men and women communicate very differently. I know that comes as a huge shock to you right??? It shouldn't, God created us this way. When husbands and wives disagree on something doesn't it sound something like this...she doesn't respect me....he doesn't love me the way....you might not say it out loud but I know many of you think it. That is just what this book covers in detail. He splits the book up for husbands and wives. I liked the fact that there is an appendix in the back of the book with a bunch of questions to ask yourself and for your spouse to as themselves. These statements will make you stop and think before you speak. So many times we do not stop and think about our words or tone while talking to our spouse.
Although this was a bit boring for me I walked away much more aware of how my husband thinks about respect. That in itself is reason enough for couples to read this. No matter how long you have been married. The next time I read this book it will defiantly be with my husband.

No comments: